• Question: how long was you at university for?

Asked by christikrasniqi to Marianne, David, Thiloka, Shonna, Shobhana, Ryan, Ross, Rebecca, Rachel, Patrick, Nina, MattyB, Matthew, Lorena, Kate, Kaitlin, James, Ettie, Emmanuelle, Deepak, Anabel, Ambre, Alex, AlexAgrotis, Aina on 11 Jun 2019. This question was also asked by margaretxoxo.
    • Photo: Marianne King

Marianne King answered on 11 Jun 2019:

Hello ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m still at university doing my PhD! Before this though I spent 3 years doing my undergraduate degree, then 1 year doing my masters degree. I’ve done 2.5 years of my PhD so far, with 1.5 years to go. In total I’ll have spent 8 years at university by the time I finish my PhD, which is a scary thought!

• Photo: Matthew Bareford

Matthew Bareford answered on 12 Jun 2019:

Hi!

I was at university for 3 years doing my undergraduate degree in Biomedical Science and then for 1 year completing a postgraduate degree. So 4 years in total.

• Photo: Shobhana Nagraj

Shobhana Nagraj answered on 12 Jun 2019:

Hi There! I was at medical school for 6 years, training to be a doctor. I then returned to University to do a Masters Degree part-time (as well as working as a doctor), and now I’m back at University doing a PhD – which lasts around 3-4 years….so altogether it’s been a decade of my life at University! It’s been a long time, although I really enjoy learning, so it is fun too!

• Photo: Kate Timms

Kate Timms answered on 12 Jun 2019:

I was at university of 9 years all together. 3 years for my undergraduate degree, 1 year for my masters degree and 4 years for my PhD – that’s a long time but it was worth it!

• Photo: Kaitlin Wade

Kaitlin Wade answered on 12 Jun 2019:

I’m technically still working at the University! I studied Biology and Mathematics as a joint degree for 3 years. I then stayed at the University of Bristol to do my PhD for 4 years in the topic of “Genetic, Molecular and Lifecourse Epidemiology” and am now working as a post-doctoral researcher at the University. So, in total, 11 years = about 7 years studying and another 4 years working since 2015. Essentially, for ages!

• Photo: James Streetley

James Streetley answered on 12 Jun 2019:

In total, I was at 2 different universities for 8 years total. 3 years for a bachelors degree, then 1 year for a masters degree and 4 years to get my PhD (doctorate).

Doing a PhD โ€˜feelsโ€™ a lot more like a job, especially if the university has funding for you. I was expected to be in the lab during working hours and I was paid each month.

• Photo: David Wilson

David Wilson answered on 12 Jun 2019:

I first did a BSc in Developmental Biology, this took me 4 years. I then was interested in becoming a Biomedical Scientist working in the NHS so I did a PGDip in Biomedical Science that took 1 year and then I specialised further in Pathology with PGCert which took another year but i was working at the same time. Later on I did an MRes which I did part time while working, this is usually a 1 year course but took me 2.
      So that’s 8 years so far and in a few months i’m going to start a PhD course which will take another 4 years.
      It’s remarkable that we never stop learning!

• Photo: Rebecca Moon

Rebecca Moon answered on 12 Jun 2019:

6 years as an undergraduate (medical school) and 3 years as a postgraduate (doing a phd)

• Photo: Rachel Hardy

Rachel Hardy answered on 12 Jun 2019:

I was at University for 4 years doing my undergraduate degree in biomedical sciences (including one year on placement). However, I am still at University doing my PhD. I have almost finished 2 years, and have another 2 to go ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s going so quickly!

• Photo: Nina Rzechorzek

Nina Rzechorzek answered on 14 Jun 2019:

Undergraduate degree in Physiology (Edinburgh) – 4 years
      Undergraduate degree in Veterinary Medicine (Cambridge) – 5 years
      PhD in Neuroscience then specialty training in Veterinary Neurology & Neurosurgery (Edinburgh) – 6 years

So that makes 15 years – ouch!

• Photo: Ettie Unwin

Ettie Unwin answered on 18 Jun 2019:

I was at university for 7.5 years. 4 for a combined masters and undergraduate in mechanical engineering and 3.5 for a PhD