• Question: what advice would you give to people who want to become scientists

Asked by rania06 to Rachel, Patrick, Lorena, Emmanuelle on 12 Jun 2019.
    • Photo: Rachel Hardy

Rachel Hardy answered on 12 Jun 2019:

Always work as hard as possible at school, to achieve the best that you can. I would also try to seek work experience wherever possible, so you can see if this is a career that you would enjoy. It also looks really good when applying to Universities if you have been proactive in seeking work experience. For example, while I was doing my A-levels I shadowed biomedical scientists in a hospital lab for a few days (I wrote to a few hospitals and asked if I could do this). This helped me to see if this was a career I would enjoy, and gave me a wider perspective of what scientists do in a lab. See if there are any science magazines offered by your school, or any that you can subscribe to. This will give you a wider perspective of what kind of research is going on right now. Most of all, try to have fun with your work and have a positive attitude. I think that with hard work and passion, everyone is capable of achieving the career that they want to 🙂