• Question: what did you do in university? did you enjoy it?

Asked by watermelon123 to David, Thiloka, Shonna, Shobhana, Ryan, Ross, Rebecca, Rachel, Patrick, Nina, MattyB, Matthew, Marianne, Lorena, Kate, Kaitlin, James, Ettie, Emmanuelle, Deepak, Anabel, Ambre, Alex, AlexAgrotis, Aina on 12 Jun 2019.
    • Photo: Rebecca Moon

Rebecca Moon answered on 12 Jun 2019:

I went to University of Southampton. I had a great time there as it is a really friendly and supportive university. It also didn’t have a particularly competitive feel, which some other medical schools do. Its in a nice part of the country too, 20 years later I still haven’t left the area!

• Photo: Kaitlin Wade

Kaitlin Wade answered on 12 Jun 2019:

I studies Biology and Mathematics at the University of Bristol and loved it. The degree was obviously very difficult but I learnt a great deal, I was able to broaden my horizons with extra-curricular activities such as sport, photography and learning how to cook. I met so many people, many of which have become my good friends, which is what I value most with getting my degree.

• Photo: Ettie Unwin

Ettie Unwin answered on 12 Jun 2019:

I studied mechanical engineering at the University of Southampton and loved it. The course was very interesting, challenging and was at the cutting edge of lots of different areas of science. I then went to do a PhD at Cambridge in the engineering department again. It was very different – a lot more formal and intense – but I loved it too. I made great friends in both who I’m still in touch with, which was the best part.

• Photo: Marianne King

Marianne King answered on 13 Jun 2019:

I did Biomedical Science at the University of Sheffield, and then a masters in Translational Neuroscience at the same uni. I enjoyed both a lot, but found Biomedical Science in particular very hard! Sheffield is a wonderful city though, and I met some of my best friends during my time there.

• Photo: David Wilson

David Wilson answered on 13 Jun 2019:

I did Developmental Biology, I found it quite hard and it took me a long time to learn what was the best way for me to study.
      I did plenty of other things during my time at University, i played a lot of rugby and made some great music with bands in the city.

• Photo: Matthew Bareford

Matthew Bareford answered on 13 Jun 2019:

I did Biomedical Science at Leicester. It was hard, but definitely enjoyable. The other thing i did was work on the university radio station, so much fun!!

• Photo: Shobhana Nagraj

Shobhana Nagraj answered on 13 Jun 2019:

I did medicine at University College London – really enjoyed it and loved living in London as a student! Now I study my PhD at Oxford University and love it too! It feels like I’m in Hogwarts sometimes – quite magical!

• Photo: Nina Rzechorzek

Nina Rzechorzek answered on 14 Jun 2019:

Undergraduate degree in Physiology (Edinburgh) – 4 years
      Undergraduate degree in Veterinary Medicine (Cambridge) – 5 years
      PhD in Neuroscience then specialty training in Veterinary Neurology & Neurosurgery (Edinburgh) – 6 years
      So that makes 15 years – ouch!
      Loved every second of it though so I have no regrets!

• Photo: Kate Timms

Kate Timms answered on 17 Jun 2019:

I did biomedical sciences at uni. I really enjoyed it because it was broad enough that I got to study everything from evolution to how the cardiovascular disease works to how proteins and made and modified in the cell. It gave me a really good grounding in biology which has definitely helped me in my job.