• Question: What is under a black hole

Asked by op.mxlz to David, Thiloka, Shonna, Shobhana, Ryan, Ross, Rebecca, Rachel, Patrick, Nina, MattyB, Matthew, Marianne, Lorena, Kate, Kaitlin, James, Ettie, Emmanuelle, Deepak, Anabel, Ambre, Alex, AlexAgrotis, Aina on 11 Jun 2019.
    • Photo: Nina Rzechorzek

Nina Rzechorzek answered on 11 Jun 2019:

Fascinating thought – and definitely not my field of expertise, but my understanding is that black holes do not have an ‘underneath’ side, since they are spherical. This blog helped me to understand black holes a bit better, but I certainly cannot validate its contents!

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2008/10/30/ten-things-you-dont-know-about-black-holes/#.XP_o9S2Q3EY

Hope that helps!

• Photo: Rebecca Moon

Rebecca Moon answered on 11 Jun 2019:

I’m in no way a space expert. The only thing I really know about space is that astronauts lose bone mass and strength whilst they are in space because they are not doing any weight bearing physical activity. That’s one of the reasons we know that weight bearing physical activity is so good for maintaining bone health and reducing fractures. But, that’s not answering your question at all. I’m not sure anyone here will be an expert in black holes as we are all biomedical scientists rather than physicists, but let’s wait and see. I think theres a space zone running concurrently to the MRC zone, so maybe post your question on their ask boards. 🙂

• Photo: Deepak Chandrasekharan

Deepak Chandrasekharan answered on 11 Jun 2019:

A good question that has been keeping physicists busy for a while! They’re fairly certain that a black hole has a boundary – called an ‘event horizon’ – and once anything crosses this boundary, it gets caught by the gravity and cannot escape – even light. This is what makes black holes black – no light. When things get too close they get crushed/spaghettified!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghettification

What is inside is people don’t really know but they model it using mathematics and it is very exciting area of research!

Recently NASA managed to take a photo of the black hole and the story and pictures are very cool

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/news/2019/4/19/how-scientists-captured-the-first-image-of-a-black-hole/

• Photo: Marianne King

Marianne King answered on 12 Jun 2019:

I’m definitely not an expert on this but do enjoy reading about space and black holes. It’s my understanding that a black hole is a very small point with a ridiculously high mass. It has huge gravitational power which is why even light cannot escape! It has an area called the event horizon which is like the final boundary. If you went past this you’d never be able to come back again – you’d be pulled apart so much that you’d end up very dead, with not even your ‘information’ left behind – but this is problematic for some of our current understandings of physics. I don’t think really that one could describe a black hole as having an ‘under’, as concepts of up and down I don’t really think apply in space. As for what happens past the event horizon… who knows! I think this is one of the things quantum physicists are puzzling about.

If you want your mind to explode a bit, here’s a good video for that. 🙂 The channel has a lot more cool videos about black holes too!

• Photo: Kate Timms

Kate Timms answered on 12 Jun 2019:

The tricky thing about space and especially space-warping things like black holes is that the whole notion of things like ‘under’ don’t really exist anymore! Black holes distort not only the space around them, but also time.

When everything is going that wonky, who knows what up and down are anymore?!

• Photo: Kaitlin Wade

Kaitlin Wade answered on 12 Jun 2019:

Whoa. No idea! Really good question… I’m not sure that anyone knows. I think physicists have been asking similar questions for decades. Maybe you could become a physicist and find out 🙂

• Photo: Matthew Bareford

Matthew Bareford answered on 14 Jun 2019:

Being as space is not a simple up, down, left, right, I guess this would depend upon the angle you are looking at it?

In terms of what is on the inside of a black hole, the short answer is we actually do not know… but most physicists agree that you’d go absolutely nowhere. You would basically just become a part of the black hole itself, making it slightly bigger.