• Question: What's the most best and worst things about your work?

Asked by miitomo1penguin to David, Thiloka, Shonna, Shobhana, Ryan, Ross, Rebecca, Rachel, Patrick, Nina, MattyB, Matthew, Marianne, Lorena, Kate, Kaitlin, James, Ettie, Emmanuelle, Deepak, Anabel, Ambre, Alex, AlexAgrotis, Aina on 12 Jun 2019. This question was also asked by zaaras56.
    • Photo: Shobhana Nagraj

Shobhana Nagraj answered on 12 Jun 2019:

Best bits: Seeing the work make a difference to people, travelling, and meeting inspiring people.
      Worst bit: Sitting at a desk a lot when it is sunny outside!

• Photo: Nina Rzechorzek

Nina Rzechorzek answered on 13 Jun 2019:

The best is making new discoveries – observing something about the natural world that no one has ever seen before (or at least not noticed before).
      The worst is when I have to euthanise an animal that it is suffering simply because we don’t have any effective treatments for their particular condition – sadly this happens quite often in neurology but I am very optimistic that with enough people working in this research area, the opportunities for treatment will change massively in the next 10-15 years.

• Photo: Kaitlin Wade

Kaitlin Wade answered on 13 Jun 2019:

Best thing: collaborating with lots of different people all with the same common goal of improving population health; travelling; teaching and celebrating when something you do gets accepted.

Worst thing: rejection either from reviewers on a paper or an application to get money or time to work on something.

• Photo: Rebecca Moon

Rebecca Moon answered on 13 Jun 2019:

The best thing is the variety of things that I get to do – looking after patients in the hospital, seeing research participants in research clinics, statistics, writing up my research. And I get to work with a really great bunch of people with a wide variety of skills.
      The worst thing is when I need to get something written and have writers block or am just not in the mood for writing!

• Photo: Thiloka Ratnaike

Thiloka Ratnaike answered on 13 Jun 2019:

Best things: like Rebecca, I love the variety within my job- seeing patients, teaching students, doing research, getting involved with projects to help the Paediatrics department, all sorts! The most amazing part of my job is when we see a sick child recover and that gives immense job satisfaction when you feel the team worked well together and achieved a great outcome for the patient.
      Worst bits: like Shobhana- it is really hard for me to sit still at the desk doing computer-based research when the weather is gorgeous! I am doing a lot of sitting these days and I have to keep finding ways to stay active within the work time!

• Photo: David Wilson

David Wilson answered on 13 Jun 2019:

Best: Writing about or presenting your work that’s taken a few years to complete. Showing there was a gap in our knowledge and filling that gap with your own work.
      Worst: dealing with rejection and criticism.

• Photo: Marianne King

Marianne King answered on 17 Jun 2019:

Best bits: working on a research project that you find really interesting with a group of fun people.
      Worst bits: when experiments go wrong and you have to start again. It can be very disheartening, especially if it means you’ve lost almost a month of work.